2006 年 Charlie Rose:Warren Buffett, Pt. 2

2006-07-11 · Charlie Rose · 原文约 10857 词
译文与英文原文逐段对齐可在本页展开英文,也可打开发布者原址核对上下文。
打开来源正文

沃伦·巴菲特,第二部分

Warren Buffett, Pt. 2

2006 年 7 月 11 日,星期二

Tuesday 07/11/2006

https://charlierose.com/videos/21205

https://charlierose.com/videos/21205

在三集系列的第二集中,商人沃伦·巴菲特探讨了伯克希尔·哈撒韦如何成长为一家市值 1400 亿美元的公司。

The second of a three-part series, businessman Warren Buffett discusses the rise of Berkshire Hathaway to a $140 billion company.

查理·罗斯:这里是伯克希尔·哈撒韦股东大会。两万人从世界各地来到内布拉斯加州奥马哈,过一个集购物与欢乐于一体的周末,亲眼见见他们的英雄。

Charlie Rose: This is the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting. 20,000 people come from all over the world to Omaha, Nebraska, for a weekend of fun, shopping and to see their hero in person.

现场人士:沃伦·巴菲特!(音乐)

Unidentified Male: Warren Buffett! (MUSIC)

巴菲特:找我的经纪人吧。

Buffett: See my agent.

查理·罗斯:他们甚至能看到一部关于他的电影。

Charlie Rose: They even get to see a movie about him.

沃伦·巴菲特:这一切始于一项关键的战略联盟。100 年前,微软、沃尔玛和星巴克合并了,叫作“微沃巴克(Microwallbucks)”。然而,一群精英投资银行家的反叛势力制造了我——一个能够穿越时空、阻止这项战略联盟发生的生物工程体。我就是“沃伦终结者”!

Warren Buffett: It all began with the key strategic alliance. A merger 100 years ago between Microsoft, Wal-Mart, and Starbucks. Microwallbucks (ph). However, an elite rebel force of investment bankers created me, a biogenic being who can travel back in time and stop the strategic alliance from ever taking place. I am the warrenator!

查理·罗斯:这是 2004 年 4 月的股东大会,沃伦·巴菲特坐在最前面正中央。(镜头前):你觉得他们今天早上最想听什么?

Charlie Rose: This is the annual meeting in April, 2004, and Warren Buffett is front and center. (on camera): What do you think they most want to hear this morning?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,这就是接受未经筛选提问的好处——你能搞清楚他们最想听什么。

Warren Buffett: Well, that's the nice thing about taking unfiltered questions is you find out.

查理·罗斯:是的。

Charlie Rose: Yeah.

沃伦·巴菲特:我是说,你知道,媒体自然关注治理问题——

Warren Buffett: I mean, you know, the press is naturally on governance issues --

查理·罗斯:没错,没错。

Charlie Rose: Right. Right.

沃伦·巴菲特:——但最后,你知道,我们会聊股东想聊的话题。

Warren Buffett: -- but in the end, you know, we'll talk about what shareholders want to talk about.

查理·罗斯:是的。这有点像风向标——

Charlie Rose: Yeah. It is a kind of weather vane --

沃伦·巴菲特:是的。它——是的。

Warren Buffett: Yeah. It's - yeah.

查理·罗斯:——在他们所处的位置方面——

Charlie Rose: -- of where they are in terms of --

沃伦·巴菲特:因为,你懂的——

Warren Buffett: Because, you know --

查理·罗斯:……他们担心的是什么。

Charlie Rose: -- what their concerns are.

沃伦·巴菲特:是啊,到今天下午 3 点 10 分结束前,我们会回答 50 到 60 个问题,然后——

Warren Buffett: Yeah, we'll get 50 or 60 questions by the end of the 3:10 this afternoon, and --

查理·罗斯:对。

Charlie Rose: Yeah.

沃伦·巴菲特:——有意思的是,几乎每个问题都来自奥马哈以外的人。奥马哈本地人反倒——他们好像把提问机会让给外地人——不过,我们马上就会知道他们都在想什么了。

Warren Buffett: -- interestingly enough, every question almost comes from somebody outside of Omaha. The Omaha people don't -- they seem to defer to the out of - and but we'll find out what's on their mind.

查理·罗斯:2005 年 4 月底,我们走进去,看看里面是什么景象。沃伦·巴菲特和他的合伙人查理·芒格坐在台上,回答股东提问,时间超过四个小时。

Charlie Rose: Near the end of April in 2005, we went inside to see what happens. Warren Buffett and his partner Charlie Munger sat on stage and answered questions for more than four hours.

沃伦·巴菲特:我们一起搭档。其实我们没得选,因为他能听,我能看。几年前,股东大会结束后的第二天,我们在戈拉特餐厅吃晚饭——全家都在那儿吃饭,店里挤满了人,外面突然下起了倾盆大雨。一位服务员走到我们桌,我正在吃,服务员说:“我得告诉你,”她说,“外面雨大得跟疯了一样,有很长一排人,迈克尔·艾斯纳就站在那儿淋得透湿。”于是我转头对苏茜说——迈克尔和简是我的朋友,很好的朋友——我跟苏茜说,你不如出去帮帮他们,免得他们被淋透。她看了我一眼,说:“我在迪士尼乐园排过队。”

Warren Buffett: We work together. We really don't have any choice, because he can hear and I can see. A few years ago, we have a dinner at Gorat's the day after the meeting and we were in having -- the whole family was there having dinner, the place was packed, and it started raining cats and dogs. And a waitress came to me, we were eating, the waitress said - said "I've got to tell you" she said, "It's raining like crazy outside and there's a long line and Michael Eisner is standing out there getting soaked." So I turned to Suzy -- and Michael and Jane are friends of mine, good friends -- and I said to Suzy, why don't you go out there and help them out before they get drenched. And she looked at me and said, "I've waited in line at Disneyland."

现场人士:我叫莫莉·法纳(音),今年 11 岁,来自纽约长岛。您怎么看中国石油?

Unidentifiede Female: My name is Molly Faner (ph). I'm 11 years old and from Long Island, New York. What is your view on PetroChina?

沃伦·巴菲特:如果你们在休息时间来,查理和我已经把这里最好的东西都拿走了,你们只能——只能拿到剩下的。查理,你有什么要补充的吗?

Warren Buffett: If you come up at the break, Charlie and I will have taken all the pieces out of here that we like best, and you will be - you will get the rest. Charlie, do you have anything to add to that?

查理·芒格:她想知道您对中国石油怎么看。

Charlie Munger: She wants to know what you think about PetroChina.

沃伦·巴菲特:我们董事会里坐的都是真正的主人,他们当董事拿到的报酬,跟我偶尔被提醒的相比,微不足道——跟他们自己的投资比。他们是我朋友,个个聪明,非常聪明。我是说,无论是商业头脑还是人品,他们都是精挑细选出来的。我确实认为,我们有全国最好的董事会。但那些想靠清单打分的人——不管是从多元化角度,还是所谓的独立性角度(虽然我不明白,一个靠董事收入养活自己半辈子的人,怎么还能独立)——我们在这方面可能排不上号。但这正是我想要的董事会。我知道,如果今晚我就死了,我几乎所有的资产都会捐给一个基金会。我希望那家基金会未来这些年能花尽可能多的钱,而在我死后,没有哪群人比我董事会里这些人更值得托付决策权了。

Warren Buffett: We have real owners on our board and what they make for being board members is really inconsequential, as I get reminded occasionally. Compared to their investment. And they're friends of mine, they're smart, they're very smart. I mean, they are hand-picked in terms of business brain power and quality of human being. And I really think that, you know, we have the best board in the country, but the people who want to make their evaluations by checklist, you know, whether either in terms of diversity or in terms of supposed independence -- although I don't know how anybody that's getting half of their income from board memberships is going to be independent, you know, we don't -- we may not stack up so well, but - but it's - it's a kind of board that I want to have, knowing that if I die tonight that virtually everything I have goes to a foundation. I want the foundation to have as much money over the years to spend as possible, and there's no group of people I'd rather have in charge of the decisions subsequent to my death than the people that we've got on our board.

查理·芒格:正确的制度是劳布鲁克体系。我记得劳(听不清)任命了三位不同的内阁成员,如果我没记错的话。他说,一个人如果不随时乐意离开公职,就不配担任公职。写这段话的那位,如果不同意政府让他做的事,他随时可以回去,成为全世界最抢手的律师。他有一个可以回去的身份,他不需要政府的薪水。我认为,这更应该成为企业董事的衡量标准。一个不随时乐意离开这个职位的人,真的适合做出艰难的决定吗?我的答案是不。

Charlie Munger: The correct system is the LAU Brook system. LAU (inaudible) three different cabinet appointments if I remember right. Said no man was fit to hold public office who wasn't perfectly willing to leave it at any time. And the fellow who wrote didn't approve of something the government asked him to do; he could always go back and be the most sought after lawyer in the world. He had an identity to go back to and he didn't need the government's salary. And I think that ought to be more the test in corporate directorships. Is a man really fit to make tough calls who isn't perfectly willing to leave the office at any time? My answer is no.

沃伦·巴菲特:是啊,我们有一位董事,他曾经两次被其他公司的薪酬委员会赶走,原因就是他居然敢质疑当时提出的薪酬安排是否恰当。我是说,这——这可不是——正如我说过的,美国公司的薪酬委员会里,他们找的不是能看家护院的大丹犬和杜宾犬,而是吉娃娃——我希望这不会冒犯到我那些在薪酬委员会任职的朋友们。

Warren Buffett: Yeah, we have one of our directors who was -- who's been removed twice from compensation committees of other corporations because he had the temerity to actually question whether the compensation arrangement being suggested was the appropriate one. I mean, it - it's not -- it's being put on the comp committee of American corporations, as I've said, they're not -- they're looking for Chihuahuas and - and not Great Danes and Dobermans and -- and I hope I'm not insulting any of my friends that are on comp committees.

查理·芒格:你这是在侮辱狗。

Charlie Munger: You're insulting the dogs.

沃伦·巴菲特:政府或其他人在担心赤字和社会保障,那是 25 年后的事,可现在单是剔除社会保障盈余后,赤字就已经有 5000 亿美元了。要我说,这简直就是荒唐。我们在这儿为 20 年后才会发生的事情痛心疾首,而这件事的规模跟眼下正在发生的事比起来不值一提,可他们对此却基本上是在欢呼,你懂的。查理,你怎么说?

Warren Buffett: The degree to which the administration or other people are worrying about the deficit and Social Security, 25 years out when they have a $500 billion deficit excluding the Social Security surplus now, I mean, it just strikes me as nonsense. Here we are deploring something that's going to happen in 20 years that's a fraction of what is happening right now while they're cheering, you know, basically. And Charlie, what do you say?

查理·芒格:嗯,这就是伯克希尔的民主党主席的观点。而伯克希尔在这个问题上的奇特之处在于,正在发言的这位右翼共和党人比沃伦更强烈地认为,共和党人现在去碰这个问题简直是昏了头。请记住,伯克希尔的股东大会发展至今,在世界历史上无出其右。从来没有任何一家资本主义企业举办过像我们这样的股东大会。我们只是误打误撞,就把它变成了这个人人都如此喜爱的盛大活动。

Charlie Munger: Well, that's the view from Berkshire's Democratic chairman. And the odd part of Berkshire on this issue was that the right-wing Republican who is speaking feels more strongly than Warren that the Republicans are out of their cotton-picking minds to be taking on this issue right now. Remember that the annual meeting of Berkshire as it has evolved is without an equal or precedent in the history of the world. No capitalist enterprise had ever had an annual shareholders meeting anything like the one we have. We just morphed by accident into this enormous event that everybody loves so.

沃伦·巴菲特:查理是你所能拥有的最佳搭档。现在呢,查理——他住在洛杉矶,我住在奥马哈,而且查理还有各种各样的其他兴趣,但无论任何时候,只要遇到重要的事,我想让世上最聪明的头脑来思考——他通常大约 15 秒就能给出答案——我都可以拿起电话跟他聊。他了解我的一切;他了解伯克希尔的一切。他不像我这样整天都在琢磨这些,他还有很多别的事情做。但每当需要他的时候,他就会出现,而且做出的判断总是对的。

Warren Buffett: Charlie is the best partner a guy could have. Now, Charlie is -- he's in Los Angeles, I'm in Omaha, and Charlie has got multiple other interests, but anytime on anything important that I want to have the world's best brain working on-- and he can usually get the answer in about 15 seconds-- I can pick him up and talk to him about. He understands everything about me; he understands everything about Berkshire. He doesn't spend all day thinking about it like I do. He's got plenty of other thing he does. But when he's needed, he's there and he's right.

查理·罗斯:伯克希尔·哈撒韦如今是一家市值 1400 亿美元的公司。它始于沃伦·巴菲特在纽约跟随他的精神导师本·格雷厄姆工作后,返回家乡之时。你是在 1956 年从纽约回来的——

Charlie Rose: Berkshire Hathaway is now $140 billion company. It began when Warren Buffett came back from New York after working with his intellectual mentor Ben Graham. When you came back from New York in '56 --

沃伦·巴菲特:1956 年。

Warren Buffett: '56.

查理·罗斯:——我想是那一年。从师从本·格雷厄姆,到与他共事之后,你当时的梦想是什么?抱负又是什么?

Charlie Rose: -- I think it was. Having studied and worked with Ben Graham, what was the dream? What was the ambition?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,那梦想低得有点惭愧。我——我当时也不知道自己要做什么。那时我大概有 15 万美元,我觉得,你知道,如果我能赚 10%,一年就是 1.5 万美元,靠这笔钱当时我就能过得很滋润了。我——我当时对读书和上大学里的课程很感兴趣。我选修了我岳父的心理学课程,还想过要不要去读法学院。我知道有好多学科我都想去读,然后几个月后,我算是误打误撞地成立了一家合伙公司,因为有七位家人说,我们想——我们想让你来打理我们的投资,而我又不想一个一个地来,也不想告诉他们我在做什么,所以我就把这七个人凑到一块儿,成立了一家合伙公司,本金是 10.51 万美元。你们可以猜猜那 100 美元是谁出的。

Warren Buffett: Well, it was kind of disgustingly low. I - I didn't know what I was going to do. I had about $150,000 at that time, and I felt, you know, if I earned 10 percent it would be $15,000 a year and I could live big on that at the time. I was - I was interested in reading and taking courses at the university. I took my father-in-law's course in psychology, and I thought I might go to law school. I knew there were a whole bunch of subjects I wanted to read about, and then I sort of stumbled into this partnership a few months later because seven members of the family said we want to -- we want you to handle our investments and I didn't want to do it one at a time or tell them what I was doing so I put the seven together in a partnership that had $105,100 in it. You can guess who the $100 was.

查理·罗斯:是的。

Charlie Rose: Yes.

沃伦·巴菲特:我——我当时以为这事就这样了。可几个月后,一个叫霍默·道奇的人,他原是格雷厄姆-纽曼公司的股东,跑过来在奥马哈见了我,然后他说——格雷厄姆-纽曼正在清盘——他还说,他问了本把钱该投到哪儿,本说也许沃伦会是个不错的选择。于是他就加入了,我记得他那时投了大概 10 万美元。再然后,四个月后,奥马哈有个人,实际上是读到了那份法律公告,我的一个朋友打电话问我,你在干什么呢?我告诉了他,他也投钱了。我就是这么一路磕磕绊绊地走过来的。

Warren Buffett: And - and I thought that was it. And a few months later, a fellow named Homer Dodge, who had been a stockholder at Graham-Newman came out, saw me in Omaha and he said -- Graham Newman was liquidating and - and he said he'd asked Ben where to put his money and Ben said maybe Warren would be a good choice. So he joined me for I think about $100,000 at the time. And then four months later, some fellow in Omaha that read the legal notice actually, a friend of mine called me up and said what are you doing? And I told him and he did it. So I just kind of stumbled along.

查理·罗斯:你一路磕磕绊绊地走来——

Charlie Rose: You kind of stumbled along --

沃伦·巴菲特:是的。

Warren Buffett: Yeah.

查理·罗斯:——突然间你就有了一个合伙公司……

Charlie Rose: -- all of a sudden you have a partnership . . .

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。我从来没有——

Warren Buffett: Right. I've never --

查理·罗斯:——而且在赚钱。

Charlie Rose: -- and you're making money.

沃伦·巴菲特:而且现在我(听不清)已经卖不动了,但合伙公司做得不错。合伙公司的一部分操作是购买那些看起来便宜的股票,伯克希尔·哈撒韦当时看起来就是一只便宜的股票。它并不是一家很——它是一门烂得离谱的生意。

Warren Buffett: And I couldn't sell (inaudible) now, but the partnership did well, and part of the partnership was buying what looked like cheap stocks, Berkshire Hathaway looked like a cheap stock. It wasn't a very - it was a terrible business.

查理·罗斯:那你那时的雄心壮志是什么?如今你可是有了一个投资平台了。

Charlie Rose: What was your ambition then? Now you have a vehicle.

沃伦·巴菲特:是啊。我一开始还真以为自己是个纺织专家,但这想法很快就被打破了。真的。我当时想,嘿,这帮家伙懂什么纺织?他们也就才做了几百年——我是说,埃及人,我觉得,早就琢磨出怎么织布了。所以,但我——

Warren Buffett: Yeah. Well, I started out by thinking I was a textile expert, but I was disabused of that notion fairly fast. I really did. I thought, you know, well, you know, what do these guys know about making textiles? They've only been doing it a few hundred years - I mean the Egyptians, I think, figured out how to weave. So, but I --

查理·罗斯:你在奥马哈住了一阵子了,对吧?

Charlie Rose: You've been in Omaha for a while or --

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。

Warren Buffett: That's right.

查理·罗斯:我对此略有了解。

Charlie Rose: I know a little bit about it.

沃伦·巴菲特:就把我放进厂房里,看看会怎样。总之,那段时间纺织生意刚好好了很短一阵子,我就像一只雨后在水塘上漂浮的鸭子。我在往上浮,但我以为是自己扑腾翅膀的功劳,其实那是该死的雨水在往下灌。然后等雨停了,我才发现自己懂个屁。是吧。

Warren Buffett: Just turn me loose in the plant and see what happens. So, anyway, what happened was right at that period the textile business was good for a very short period of time, and so I was like a duck floating on a pond when it was raining. I was going up in the world, but I thought it was because I was flapping my wings but it was that damn rain that was coming down. And - and then when it quit raining, I mean I found out what do I know. Right.

查理·罗斯:是的。

Charlie Rose: Yes.

沃伦·巴菲特:然后——然后我们进入了其他行业。

Warren Buffett: And then - then we went into other businesses.

查理·罗斯:对。然后突然之间,你——我是说,是——你就进入了其他行业,很多行业——你手里开始有现金流进来了。

Charlie Rose: Yeah. And what -- so all of a sudden -- I mean, was it -- you went into other businesses, many -- you have some cash flow coming in.

沃伦·巴菲特:我们当时有些现金,但——不是很多。

Warren Buffett: We had some cash, not - not very much.

查理·罗斯:是的。

Charlie Rose: Yeah.

沃伦·巴菲特:但我们手头有些现金,到了 1967 年初,杰克·林沃尔特决定卖掉他的保险公司时,我记得我们花了 870 万美元。大概是 840 万美元。840 万美元,当时伯克希尔账上可能有——我不知道——大概 400 万到 500 万美元。可能我们又借了几百万。

Warren Buffett: But we had some cash around, and when Jack Ringwalt decided to sell his insurance companies in early '67, we paid $8.7 million, I think. $8.4 million I guess it was. $8.4 million, and we had -- in Berkshire we had, I don't know, maybe $4 or $5 million around. Maybe we borrowed a few million.

查理·罗斯:但那是你第一次涉足保险业?

Charlie Rose: But that was your first entry into the insurance business?

沃伦·巴菲特:那是保险——

Warren Buffett: That was the insurance --

查理·罗斯:保险业为什么有吸引力?

Charlie Rose: Why was the insurance business attractive?

沃伦·巴菲特:这个——它确实能控制资金——而且——而且——如果你找到一个在保险端和承保端干得不错的人,那就给你这边提供了拿去投资的钱。

Warren Buffett: Well, it - it does control money and - and - and if you've got somebody that's doing a decent job on the insurance end and underwriting, it gives you money to invest on my end.

查理·罗斯:伯克希尔的收入里,保险业务占多大比例?

Charlie Rose: How much of your revenue comes from the insurance business?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,很大一部分来自保险业务,然后保险业务还给我们创造了大量可运用的资金。

Warren Buffett: Well, a lot comes from insurance, and then we have a lot of money that's generated by insurance.

查理·罗斯:是的。

Charlie Rose: Yes.

沃伦·巴菲特:保险业务推动了我们增长,这一点毫无悬念。

Warren Buffett: Insurance has propelled our growth, there's no question about that.

查理·罗斯:因为那让你有资金可以运作?

Charlie Rose: Because it gave you money to work?

沃伦·巴菲特:它给了我们钱,既可以投资有价证券,也可以直接收购企业。

Warren Buffett: It gave us money to both invest in marketable securities and also money to buy businesses outright.

查理·罗斯:然后到了 1965 年,你就有机会接手公司了。

Charlie Rose: And then in 1965, you have a chance to take over.

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。

Warren Buffett: Right.

查理·罗斯:伯克希尔。怎么回事?

Charlie Rose: Berkshire. What happened?

沃伦·巴菲特:过了一阵我才意识到自己进的这行有多糟糕,但我们当时没有从纺织业务脱身,不过我也下了决心——只要条件允许,就尽量往里添加其他东西。有意思的是,查理,如果我把后来做的那些事都不放进伯克希尔,而是放在一个独立实体里操作,我的处境反而会更好。单从财务上讲。伯克希尔——纺织业务拖了二十年后腿,所以如果我当初不是为伯克希尔买下那些资产,而是用另一个独立实体去收购,那——

Warren Buffett: After I while I realized what a lousy business I was in and we didn't get out of the textile business but I decided that - that to the extent we could, we'd try to add on other things. Interestingly enough, Charlie, I would have been better off if I did all the subsequent things without putting them in Berkshire originally. We just talked financially. Berkshire -- the textile business was a drag for 20 years, so if I instead of buying these things for Berkshire we just bought them in the separate entity, the --

查理·罗斯:那你当时为什么没那么做?

Charlie Rose: Then why didn't you do that?

沃伦·巴菲特:我不知道。但——但结果还不错。而且我有——

Warren Buffett: I don't know. But - but it worked out fine. And I've got --

查理·罗斯:不过最后都还是挺过来了。

Charlie Rose: But everything worked out.

沃伦·巴菲特:是的。

Warren Buffett: Yeah.

查理·罗斯:如果你回头看——

Charlie Rose: If you look back --

沃伦·巴菲特:回头看,从财务角度看,那是一个——那是一个——那是一个根本性的重大错误决定。

Warren Buffett: Looking back, it was - it was - it was a big fundamental wrong decision from a financial standpoint.

查理·罗斯:一开始是怎么卷进纺织这行的?

Charlie Rose: To get involved in the textile business at all?

沃伦·巴菲特:是啊。我本该干脆抽身,继续去做那些别的事,但是——

Warren Buffett: Yeah. I should have just gotten out of that and going on and done these other things, but --

查理·罗斯:那你告诉我,你为什么没有?

Charlie Rose: But you tell me why you didn't?

沃伦·巴菲特:我这人比较认死理。

Warren Buffett: I kind of stick with things.

查理·罗斯:就这些?

Charlie Rose: It's that?

沃伦·巴菲特:是啊,我的意思是,确实如此。事情是这样的——这就是我的性格,你明白吗?我开的车已经八年没换,住的房子四十七年没变。

Warren Buffett: Yeah, I mean you do. Here are the things -- It's just my personality, you know? I mean, I'm driving a car after eight years, I'm living in the same house after 47 years.

查理·罗斯:你那时候的净资产大概在 600 万到 700 万美元左右。

<<<END P 6>>>

Charlie Rose: Your net worth about that time was about $6 or $7 million.

沃伦·巴菲特:这个数字大概差不多,对。大概差不多,因为 1962 年我成立——把所有合伙公司合并的时候,资金大概是 100 万美元左右,到解散的时候大约是 2500 万美元。所以,很可能是这个数。

Warren Buffett: That probably is about right, yeah. That's probably around right, because in 1962 when I formed - when I put all the partnerships together, it was about a million and when I wound up it was about $25. So, it probably was.

查理·罗斯:你在想什么?我的意思是,我就继续找能做的投资,一切就会好起来吗?

Charlie Rose: What are you thinking? I mean I'm just going to continue finding investments that I can make and everything will turn out all right?

沃伦·巴菲特:60 年代中期,我在经营这家合伙公司。当时我以为自己会一直经营下去——

Warren Buffett: In the mid '60s, I was running this partnership. So, I thought I was going to keep running --

查理·罗斯:没错。

Charlie Rose: Right.

沃伦·巴菲特:——那家合伙公司,后来我——我到了觉得自己没法做得那么好的地步——

Warren Buffett: -- the partnership, and then I - I got to where I didn't think I could do that well and --

查理·罗斯:你当时为什么这么想?

Charlie Rose: Why did you think that?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,60 年代的市场——

Warren Buffett: Well, the market in the '60s --

查理·罗斯:哦,股票市场。

Charlie Rose: Oh, the stock market.

沃伦·巴菲特:股市彻底疯了——那感觉有点像,你知道,1999 年和 2000 年那阵子。我是说,我被落在了后面,我不愿意碰那些我搞不懂、在我眼里毫无道理的东西,但眼看着别人在我身边转来转去,我心里也不是滋味,我的合伙人可能嘴上不说,心里却在琢磨:这家伙是不是不行了?所以——所以我就把他们的钱全退了,把伯克希尔的股票分给他们,我自己也趁机拿了不少。然后我——我就慢慢更全身心投入伯克希尔了。你知道,它——它就成了我的画布。起初我每天只画一两个小时,后来就开始疯狂地画起来。

Warren Buffett: The stock market just went crazy and - and it was a little like, you know, in 1999 and 2000. I mean, I was left behind and I didn't want to do things I didn't understand and that didn't make sense to me, but I also didn't like sitting there while everybody else was, you know, running rings around me, and my partners were probably not saying it but they might think, you know, has this guy lost it? So -- so I gave them all the money back and I gave them the shares at Berkshire and got a lot of them myself as part of that. And then I -- I just kind of got more involved in Berkshire. You know, it - it became my painting. I was only painting an hour or two a day at the start and I started painting like crazy.

查理·罗斯:这么说你持有伯克希尔的股份。

Charlie Rose: So you had a stake in Berkshire.

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。我实际上还多买了一些,但我当时就是决定把所有钱都放进伯克希尔,然后跟随它走下去。

Warren Buffett: Right. And I actually bought more, but I just decided I'd put all my money in Berkshire and ride with it.

查理·罗斯:而且是把伯克希尔当作一个载体,仅仅就是一个载体?

Charlie Rose: And ride with Berkshire as a vehicle, just as a vehicle?

沃伦·巴菲特:当这个——是的,当作一种延伸,我在公司层面的延伸。

Warren Buffett: As this is - yeah, as a kind of an extension, a corporate extension of me.

查理·罗斯:那你们到那时已经退出纺织业务了吗?

Charlie Rose: And are you out of the textile business by then?

沃伦·巴菲特:我们退出了——不。我们过了 20 年才退出纺织业务。我甚至还买了另一家纺织公司。我是说,这——你知道,我得坦白,我——。

Warren Buffett: We got out of it -- No. We did not get out of the textile business for 20 years. I even bought another textile company. I mean, this is a-you know, I'm going to confess, I --.

查理·罗斯:是。

Charlie Rose: Yes.

沃伦·巴菲特:这就像——这就像一场忏悔会了。我这就——我这就直接走到你面前——

Warren Buffett: This is like - this is like a revival meeting now. I'm - I'm going to just go up to you --

查理·罗斯:我们正需要这个。

Charlie Rose: We need that.

沃伦·巴菲特:请原谅我,好吗?因为我——我——我买了另一家纺织公司。我买了一家叫万巴克纺织厂(Wamback Mills,音译)的公司,在新罕布什尔州的曼彻斯特。

Warren Buffett: Forgive me, will you, because I -- I - I bought another textile company. I bought something called Wamback (ph) Mills in Manchester, New Hampshire.

查理·罗斯:你为什么要那么做?

Charlie Rose: Why did you do that?

沃伦·巴菲特:只有我的心理医生知道了。还是那毛病,我当时以为靠这么做能解决点问题。也许我——

Warren Buffett: Only my psychiatrist knows. Again, I thought I was going to solve something by doing it. Maybe I --

查理·罗斯:解决点问题?

Charlie Rose: Solve something?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,你知道,我当时觉得这两家厂合在一起会经营得更好,或者什么荒唐的念头。我是自己就这么干了,也没有哪个管理顾问劝我这么干。所以,一直到了大概是 1985 年,那是 20 年之后,我们才彻底退出了——

Warren Buffett: Well, you know, I thought that these two put together would do better or some crazy thing, I mean. I did it myself, too, no management consultant told me to do it. So it was - it was 19-about '85, I mean 20 years later before we got out of --

查理·罗斯:纺织业务?

Charlie Rose: The textile business?

沃伦·巴菲特:我们退出了纺织业务。我说过这有点像看游行,所有这些纺织公司都挤在那儿,你踮起脚尖,然后其他人也都踮起脚尖——最后你看得一点也没更清楚,腿反而还酸了。纺织业就是这么回事。

Warren Buffett: We got out of the textile business. And I said it's a little bit like watching a parade with all these other textile companies, and you stand up on your tiptoes and then everybody else stands up on their tiptoes and all -- you don't see any better and your legs hurt. And that's what happened with textiles.

查理·罗斯:1973 年可能是你第一次大手笔——第一次对《华盛顿邮报》下手,你开始买入它的股票。

Charlie Rose: In 1973 was maybe your first big -- first run at the "Washington Post," you began to buy shares.

沃伦·巴菲特:是的。

Warren Buffett: Yeah.

查理·罗斯:你是如何得出这个结论的?

Charlie Rose: How did you come to the conclusion?

沃伦·巴菲特:1971 年,查理和我第一次见到凯瑟琳·格雷厄姆时,我就看过招股说明书。当时他们正要上市,正好赶上五角大楼文件事件。之后到了 1973 年,股价变得极其便宜,因为他们的电视执照遭到了尼克松的朋友比比·雷博佐(音)的挑战。我记得股价在很短时间内从 38 美元左右跌到了大约 16 美元。等股价跌到 20 美元上下一段时间后,我们分了几笔交易,买进了这家公司近 10% 的股份,通过他们后续的回购,这个占比现在已经达到了 18% 左右。当股价跌到大约 20 美元时,这意味着一家拥有 480 万股本的《华盛顿邮报》公司,整体售价仅为 1 亿美元。要知道,他们当时拥有《华盛顿邮报》、拥有《新闻周刊》,还拥有四家大型电视联播网电视台——

Warren Buffett: I'd looked at the prospectus in 1971, when Charlie and I first met Katie Graham one time, and they were going public, right at the time of the Pentagon Papers. And then in 1973, the stock got very cheap because their television licenses were under challenge by Bibi Rebozo (ph), Nixon's friend. And then the stock went from I think like $38 to $16 or so in a very short period of time. And when it got down to around 20, just in a few blocks, we bought almost 10 percent of the company, and that now is about 18 percent because they've repurchased shares. When it got to about $20, that meant the whole Washington Post Company-- it had 4,800,000 shares -- the whole Washington Post Company was selling for $100 million. Now they owned the "Washington Post," they owned "Newsweek", they owned four big network television stations --

查理·罗斯:包括华盛顿——

Charlie Rose: Including Washington --

沃伦·巴菲特:——

Warren Buffett: --

——华盛顿的 CBS 电视台在佛罗里达州杰克逊维尔。

Cbs In Washington: Jacksonville, Florida.

沃伦·巴菲特:我说的是应有尽有,而且公司没有任何负债。如果你把那些资产拆开来卖,哪怕你半夜划着条小船待在大西洋中央,你都能实实在在地把它们卖出 5 亿美元。要是真有这个必要,人们甚至甘心跳进鲨鱼出没的水域,游着泳来买。

Warren Buffett: I mean everything, and they didn't owe any money. And if you had taken those separate parts, you literally could have been out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, you know, at midnight in a row boat and you could have sold them for $500 million. People would have been swimming out in shark-infested waters if necessary to buy them.

查理·罗斯:而你原本用 1 亿美元就能买下这一切。

Charlie Rose: And you could have had all of it for $100 million.

沃伦·巴菲特:用 1 亿美元。当然,你并不是要全资收购,但——是这么回事。

Warren Buffett: For $100 million. And you weren't going to get all of it, but - yeah.

查理·罗斯:我不明白的是,为什么 95 个人都没看到这一点?

Charlie Rose: Here's what I don't understand. How come 95 people didn't see that?

沃伦·巴菲特:这件事非常不可思议。我们是从那些大型机构投资者手里买入的。他们当时正在争相出逃。你要是随便问他们其中任何一个人,这些资产值多少钱,他们给出的估值会和我说的差不多,但他们就是觉得股价还要往下跌。所以——那又怎样?你懂的。后来股价确实跌了。事实上,我们买入之后,又往下跌了一点。

Warren Buffett: It was amazing. We were buying it from big institutional investors. And they were bailing out of it. And if you'd asked any one of them what the pieces were worth, they would have said something close to what I would say, but they thought the stock was going to go down. So - so what? You know. And the stock did go down. In fact, after we bought it, it went down a little more.

查理·罗斯:那又怎样?沃伦·巴菲特的信条是,我看的并不是股票的价格;我看的是它背后的价值。

Charlie Rose: So what? Warren Buffett believes that I'm not looking at the price of the stock; I'm looking at what the value of this is.

沃伦·巴菲特:我看的是那份资产,同时我也在关注格雷厄姆(Graham)家族这个管理者。我的意思是说,我们当时花了大约 1000 万美元买入的那部分股票,今天可能已经值 15 亿美元甚至更多了。而他们并没有——

Warren Buffett: I'm looking at the property, and I'm looking at the Graham family. I mean, that stock we paid about $10 million for is probably worth $1.5 billion or more today. And they haven't --

查理·罗斯:1000 万美元变成了 15 亿美元?

Charlie Rose: $10 million into $1.5 billion?

沃伦·巴菲特:15 亿美元。他们既没有挖到石油,也没有发明出治愈癌症的疗法。你知道,他们只是拿着这些资产,一直坚持做合理明智的事,有时也做极为睿智的事。钱就是通过这些资产赚来的,而且他们不断发展已有资产,在资金管理上堪称出色的管家。这其中——并没有什么奇迹。

Warren Buffett: 1.5 billion. And they haven't struck oil, they have not invented a cure for cancer. You know, they've just taken those properties and kept doing reasonably intelligent things and sometimes very intelligent things, but the money generated by it, and they've developed the properties they've had and they've been terrific stewards of the money. But there's -- there's no miracles involved.

凯瑟琳·格雷厄姆:沃伦是在我不知情的情况下买进公司股票的,所以我才说,运气确实在人的一生中扮演着很重要的角色。事实就是如此。当时很多人对我说,和他保持距离,他买的股票太多了,他对你不怀好意。而我本能的直觉是,咱们不妨先看看。看看他到底是个什么样的人。而我了解到关于他的一切,都非常好。于是,我就请他过来看看这家他刚买入了股份的公司。他在持有公司 5% 股份时,必须给我写一封信,信上写道:“亲爱的格雷厄姆夫人,我刚刚买入了贵公司 5% 的股份,我想告诉您,我对您绝无恶意。我认为这是一家非常了不起的公司,我知道它归格雷厄姆家族所有,也由格雷厄姆家族经营,这对我来说完全没问题。”就这样,我认识了他,我当时心想,哇,这家伙真的非常了不起。所以,在他加入我们董事会之后,他每次来参加董事会会议,都会带上大概 20 份年报,他会带着我仔细翻阅这些年报。我想说的是,那段经历简直就像是在跟着沃伦·巴菲特读商学院。

Katharine Graham: Warren bought into the company without my knowing, and that's why I say luck really plays a role in people's lives. It just does. A lot of people said stiff arm him, he's buying too much stock, he means you no good. And my native instinct was, let's take a look. Let's see what he's like. And everything I learned about him was very good. So I asked him to come and take a look at the company in which he just bought these shares. He had to write me a letter when he owned 5 percent of the company saying "Dear Mrs. Graham, I just bought 5 percent of your company, and I mean you no harm. And I think it's a great company and I know it's Graham owned and Graham run, and that's fine with me." And so I got to know him and I thought, whoa, this guy's really terrific. So after he joined our board, he used to come to board meetings with about 20 annual reports and he would take me through these annual reports. I mean, it was like going to business school with Warren Buffett.

查理·罗斯:你不可能找到比这更好的老师了。

Charlie Rose: You couldn't have a better teacher.

凯瑟琳·格雷厄姆:没错,那段经历棒极了。

Katharine Graham: No, it was wonderful.

查理·罗斯:凯·格雷厄姆跟我说过,你刚遇到她时,她连年报怎么看都不懂,但你带给了她那种感觉——帮她学会了如何做商业决策。

Charlie Rose: Kay Graham told me that you did -- when she met you, she'd never even understood how to read an annual report, but that's what you brought to her, some sense of being - and helping her come to grips with the idea of making business decisions.

沃伦·巴菲特:凯非常非常聪明,但她觉得——因为过去她母亲和她丈夫在某种程度上把这种想法灌输给了她——她认为只有上过商学院的男性才能管理企业。我的意思是,她——她一直——她拥有智慧,但没有自信。我跟她说,我的工作就是让她不再盯着那面哈哈镜看——她一直从那儿看自己,看到的都是扭曲的形象——而是去看一面真实的镜子。当她看到真实的镜子时,她会看到一个完全有能力管理《华盛顿邮报》或任何其他公司的人。

Warren Buffett: Kay was very, very smart but she thought -- because she -- this had been pushed into her by her mother and her husband to some extent in the past, she - she thought only males who had been to business school could run businesses. I mean, she - she had been -- She had the intellect; but she didn't have the confidence. And I told her my job was to get her away from looking into that funhouse mirror that she was looking into about herself and distorting it and looking into a real mirror. And when she looked in the real mirror, she'd see a person who was perfectly capable of running the "Washington Post" or any other company.

查理·罗斯:她花了多久学会这一点?

Charlie Rose: How long did it take her to learn that?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,那是,断断续续持续了很长时间。

Warren Buffett: Well, it was, you know, fits and starts over time.

查理·罗斯:没错。

Charlie Rose: Yeah.

沃伦·巴菲特:但——但她——我手上是有好材料的。我是说她确实很出色,相当厉害。而——而她长期以来一直被灌输一种观念,觉得那不是她此生能做的事,所以需要一些说服工作。她必须亲眼看到成功的证据之类的东西才行。我说,格雷厄姆夫人,您看,您对这个公司的控制是彻头彻尾的,可您还在为我担心。所以我说,您现在看我的感觉,是看到了獠牙,而我告诉您,这些其实只是乳牙。我还说,它们确实是乳牙,可在您眼里总像獠牙,我唯一能做的就是把它们拔掉。我说,就算它们是乳牙,我也打算把它们全都拔掉。所以我愿意——您把您的律师乔治·吉莱斯皮叫上来,我说我会签一份协议,保证再也不买一股《华盛顿邮报》的股票,除非您点头同意,我说我完全没问题——我希望您对我感到安心,不希望您对我感到紧张。于是乔治上来了,我拔掉了那些乳牙,而她看到的是獠牙掉在地上,从那以后我们一直相处得很好。

Warren Buffett: But - but she -- I had the right raw material. I mean she was good. She was good. And - and she'd had beaten into her over such a long period of time that that wasn't what she could do in life, that it took some convincing. And she had to see evidence of success and all that sort of thing. I said, Mrs. Graham, I said, you know, you control this company lock, stock, and barrel, but you're still worried about me. So I said what you're doing is you're looking at me and you're seeing fangs and I'm telling you these are baby teeth. And I said, they really are baby teeth, but they always look like fangs to you and there's nothing I can do except even - except take them out. I said even though they're baby teeth, I'm going to just take them all out. So I'm probably willing -- you call George Gillespie up here, your lawyer, and I said I'll sign an agreement that I'll never buy another share of stock in "Washington Post" unless you give me the OK, and I said I'm fine -- I want you happy with me. I don't want you nervous about me. And so George came up and I took out the baby teeth and she saw fangs falling to the floor and we got along great ever since.

查理·罗斯:好。但那时——你其实已经——

Charlie Rose: OK. But then - but you already had --

沃伦·巴菲特:我们有过——我们有过——

Warren Buffett: We had - we had --

查理·罗斯:——是投资了 1000 万美元,还是没投?

Charlie Rose: -- 10 million invested or not?

沃伦·巴菲特:没错,我们当时投了 1000 万美元。我们持有 9%——9% 多一点。我跟她说,明智的做法是回购你们的股票。我的意思是——那些原本我会买的股票,你们应该替公司买回来,这样——只要你们那么做,我们大家都会变得更富。她身边还有好多其他人劝她别这么做,但最后——她决定还是干了,正因为这样,我们现在才持有这家公司将近 18% 的股份,而不是 9% 多一点。《布法罗晚报》是在 1977 年买下的——

Warren Buffett: Yeah, we had $10 million invested. We had nine - we had 9 percent -- nine and a fraction percent of the stock. And I told her the smart thing is to repurchase your shares. I mean - and the shares I would otherwise buy you should buy for the company, and - and we'll all get richer if you do that. And - and she had a lot of other people advising her otherwise, but she finally -- she decided to do it and that's the reason we now own almost 18 percent, I believe, of the company instead of nine and a fraction percent. The "Buffalo Evening News" was bought in 1977 --

查理·罗斯:77 年。

Charlie Rose: '77.

沃伦·巴菲特:这件事我第一个找的是凯。

Warren Buffett: And I gave Kay first shot at that.

查理·罗斯:你做了什么?

Charlie Rose: You did what?

沃伦·巴菲特:我让凯特先试了那个。

Warren Buffett: I gave Kate first shot at that.

查理·罗斯:你说过,如果你不买,那我就买。

Charlie Rose: You said, I'm - if you - if you don't want to buy it, I am.

沃伦·巴菲特:如果你不想要——对,那我就买下它。

Warren Buffett: If you don't want it - yeah, I'm going to buy it.

查理·罗斯:你为什么要那么做?

Charlie Rose: Why would you do that?

沃伦·巴菲特:我就是觉得,你知道,她一直待我不错,而且我们是《华盛顿邮报》的大股东,他们做的是报纸生意,她又想买一些东西。所以我就说,你知道,我不会——我不会从中作梗。后来我周日去见了文斯·曼(Vince Mann,音译),从他手里把她本来要买的东西给买走了,算是给了她一次机会。

Warren Buffett: I just felt that, you know, she'd been good to me and - and we were a big holder and they were in the newspaper business, and - and she wanted to buy things. So I just said, you know, I'm not going to - I'm not going to fight. Then I went up to see Vince Mann (ph) on a Sunday and bought this thing away from you, so -- that she otherwise would have bought, so I gave her a shot at it.

查理·罗斯:1983 年,你们收购了内布拉斯加家具城——

Charlie Rose: In 1983, you purchased Nebraska Furniture Mart --

沃伦·巴菲特:对。

Warren Buffett: Right.

查理·罗斯:以 6000 万美元的价格成交。

Charlie Rose: -- for $60 million.

沃伦·巴菲特:B 夫人。

Warren Buffett: Mrs. B.

查理·罗斯:跟我说说她的事。

Charlie Rose: Tell me about her.

沃伦·巴菲特:这位女性当年徒步走出俄罗斯,搭上一艘花生船,脖子上挂着标签在 西雅图 上岸,一个英文单词都不会说,美国红十字会按标签上的地址把她送到了 爱荷华州 道奇堡。她学不会当地语言,就搬到了 奥马哈,因为这里说俄语的犹太人更多,她能和人交流。她的大女儿开始上学后,每天回家把在学校学的单词教给她。她花了 16 年时间存下 500 美元,用这笔钱创办了自己的公司——卖二手衣服,然后一次 50 美元地把自己的兄弟姐妹和父母接到美国。到了 1937 年,她拿着这 500 美元正式开业,跟那些在各方面都占尽优势的对手竞争,结果她把他们全干掉了。

Warren Buffett: She was the woman that walked out of Russia, got on a peanut boat, landed in Seattle with a tag around her neck, couldn't speak a word of English, and the Red Cross got her out to Fort Dodge, Iowa, which is what the tag said. She couldn't learn the language. She moved to Omaha, because there were more Russian Jews here that she could talk with. Her oldest daughter started school, came home and taught her the words that she learned. She took 16 years to save $500 so she could start this company, selling used clothing, bringing her siblings and her mother and her father over here at $50 at a crack, and in 1937 took $500 and went into business and competed against all these people who had all kinds of advantages over in every way, and she killed them. And --

查理·罗斯:她把他们都干掉了?

Charlie Rose: She killed them?

沃伦·巴菲特:是的。

Warren Buffett: Yeah.

查理·罗斯:她是怎么做到的?

Charlie Rose: How was she able to kill them?

沃伦·巴菲特:她听说过——她很聪明。她清楚自己认知能力的边界,在自己能力圈内充满自信。她不越出这个圈子,对顾客尽心尽责,卖得便宜,虽然花了她很长时间,但她在奥马哈这样只有 70 万人口的小城里,建起了全美最大的家具店。

Warren Buffett: She heard about -- she was smart. She knew the limitations of her knowledge and she - she was confident within her circle of competence. She didn't get outside of it and she took care of her customer, she sold cheap, and it took her a long time, but she built the largest home furnishing store in the country in a town like Omaha with 700,000 people.

查理·罗斯:那么,你是怎么把它买下来的?

Charlie Rose: So, how did you come to buy it?

沃伦·巴菲特:我当时就是对这桩生意一见钟情。我是说,那正是我欣赏的那种女人。我买下它的时候她已经 89 岁了,她一直工作到 103 岁。中间有一段时间她离开过几年。如果你像我一样去过 B 夫人家——房子很漂亮——你进门就会看到,她的沙发、台灯、床上都挂着绿色的小价签,因为这样让她觉得自己还在店里。我是说,这真是个了不起、了不起的女人,而点睛之笔,查理,是她根本不识字。我觉得美国每一所商学院都应该研究她。我是说——

Warren Buffett: Well, I was in love with this operation. I mean, that's my kind of woman. I bought it when she was 89. She worked until 103. There was a period there where she left for a couple of years. If you went over to Mrs. B's house as I did, and you -- very nice house and you'd go in and on her sofa, her lamps, her bed there would be little green tags hanging down, because it made her feel like she was at the store. I mean, this is a remarkable, remarkable woman, and the punch line, Charlie, is, she couldn't read or write. And I - and I think every business school in the United States ought to study her. I mean --

查理·罗斯:他们会学到什么?

Charlie Rose: What would they learn?

沃伦·巴菲特:他们会学到生意的精髓。他们会学到,经营企业最核心的就是服务好你的客户。服务好——我的意思是,给他们划算到没人会碰的交易——然后拼命工作。我是说,她日复一日地待在那里,她——她——对这件事充满热情。说实话,就算从《财富》500 强里选 10 位 CEO,让你先挑,然后让他们跟 B 夫人同场竞争,她都会赢。

Warren Buffett: They would learn the essence of business. They would learn that taking care of your customer is what it's all about. Taking care of -- and by that I mean giving them good deals, you know, which nobody would touch and she -- and working, working like crazy. I mean, she was there day after day after day and she - she - she had a passion for it. And the truth is, if you took the "Fortune" 500 CEOs and I gave you first draft pick on 10 of them, and I'd put them in competition with Mrs. . , she'd have -- she'd win.

查理·罗斯:毫无疑问?

Charlie Rose: No doubt?

沃伦·巴菲特:她会赢。没错。迈克尔·艾斯纳当时正好在,我给他讲了这件事,他特别喜欢,还想买下电影改编权。迈克尔能言善道,但我亲眼看着他站在 B 夫人女儿面前——就是我早前提到的那个女儿,她现在已经……那时大概都 80 岁上下了——弗朗西斯这么高,迈克尔那么高,结果弗朗西斯说:“我母亲什么都想分一份。” 都 80 岁了,还说自己母亲什么都想分一份,我意思是——

Warren Buffett: She'd win. Yeah. Michael Eisner was here, I told him the story, he loved it, and Michael wanted to - to get the movie rights. And Michael could be very persuasive, but - but I saw him stand there with Mrs. B's daughter, the same daughter I referred to earlier, you know, who's now -- who at that time was probably close to 80 or so, and - and Frances is this tall and Michael is that tall and Frances is saying "My mother wants a piece of everything." When you're an 80-year-old saying your mother wants a piece of everything, I mean --

查理·罗斯:太有意思了。这么说,B 夫人——B 夫人希望他们——无论他们打算做什么——

Charlie Rose: That's great. So Mrs. B. - Mrs. B wanted them -- whatever they were going to do --

沃伦·巴菲特:不管什么——

Warren Buffett: Whatever --

查理·罗斯:——她自己也想分一杯羹。

Charlie Rose: -- she wanted a piece of the action herself.

沃伦·巴菲特:要是他们打算生产 B 夫人玩偶,她想从中分一份。

Warren Buffett: If they were going to make Mrs. . dolls, she wanted to own a piece of that.

查理·罗斯:这总不可能是商学院教她的吧?她是从——

Charlie Rose: And they didn't teach that in any business school to her? She picked that up from --

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。正是如此。

Warren Buffett: That's right. That's exactly right.

查理·罗斯:——从她理解所有权才是一切开始的。

Charlie Rose: -- from understanding ownership was everything.

沃伦·巴菲特:她懂生意,也极其懂人。

Warren Buffett: She understood business. She understood people awfully well, too.

查理·罗斯:1988 年,你开始买进可口可乐。为什么?

Charlie Rose: In 1988, you started buying Coca-Cola. How come?

沃伦·巴菲特:具体记不太清了。大概是读了他们的年报,很可能是 1987 年的那份。在那之前我—我观察过它一段时间。但总会有个节点,一个临界点,就是你积累了一段时间的认知、再加上股票价格变动——当时股价跌了一些。公司在大规模回购自家股票。罗伯托(音)和唐(音)干得非常出色。可口可乐不会出什么大问题,所以我就开始买了。大部分买入是在 1988 年中期到 1989 年初那段时间,后来还有个小小的买入计划,总计投入了约 10 亿美元,现在大概值 80 亿美元。

Warren Buffett: I don't remember exactly. Probably I read their annual report. Probably read the 1987 annual report. I'd been -- I'd watched it some. But there just comes a point, there's a tipping point, you know, in terms of knowledge you've accumulated over a period of time, price changes in the stock which had gone down some. There were heavy repurchases of their own stock. Roberto (ph) and Don (ph) were doing a terrific job. Nothing bad was going to happen to Coca-Cola, so I started buying it. Most of that in that period from the middle of '88 to early '89, but then a little program, but we put overall about $1 billion into it and it's probably worth about $8 billion now.

查理·罗斯:而且你没打算卖?

Charlie Rose: And you have no intent to sell?

沃伦·巴菲特:没有。

Warren Buffett: No.

查理·罗斯:不过你曾说过,在泡沫期间——

Charlie Rose: You have said, though, that in -- during the bubble --

沃伦·巴菲特:它当时的价格过高了。

Warren Buffett: It got overpriced.

查理·罗斯:有些东西你也许卖掉了——

Charlie Rose: There were some things that you might have sold

沃伦·巴菲特:当然。

Warren Buffett: Sure.

查理·罗斯:——如果那时把它们卖掉,本该是个明智之举。

Charlie Rose: -- and would have been wise to have sold them at that time.

沃伦·巴菲特:如果我还是像 60 年代那样经营合伙基金,我肯定早就把那些股票卖掉了。我是说,那些股票涨疯了,而且——

Warren Buffett: If I wa running the partnership like I did back in the '60s, I definitely should have sold those stocks. I mean, they -- stocks went crazy, and --

查理·罗斯:但你现在回头看,并不会说“我应该在泡沫时期卖掉可口可乐”,因为

Charlie Rose: But you do not today look back and say "I should have sold Coca-Cola when the bubble was there", because

沃伦·巴菲特:那——那不是我。我是说,我不会——你知道,我——我知道它当时卖得很贵,我甚至还写过文章,跟吉列的情况一样,但——但是,你知道,我——我不常那么做。我不是说我永远都不会做。我的意思是,如果我们进入历史上最疯狂的投机狂欢——史上最疯狂的狂欢——有些东西变得离谱,也许我会卖掉一些。但我不——那不符合我的本性。首先,优秀的企业并不多见。如果你在一家优秀的企业里持有了大仓位,那也不是什么坏事。

Warren Buffett: It just -- it wasn't me. I mean, I wouldn't -- you know, I - I -- I knew it was selling at a very fancy price and I even wrote about it, same way with Gillette, but -- but, you know, I - I don't do that very often. I'm not saying I wouldn't ever do it. I mean, if we went into the wildest speculative orgy in history - orgy in history and some of these things went crazy, maybe I would sell some. But I - it's not mine -- it goes against the grain. For one thing, wonderful businesses are not that common. And if you get a big position in a wonderful business, not a bad thing.

查理·罗斯:你做过的大规模投资里,最好的一笔是什么?

Charlie Rose: What is this single best investment on a large scale that you have made?

沃伦·巴菲特:GEICO,我这辈子就投了三次。三次都投得不错。我意思是,它是一笔好投资,在我——在我才 20 岁的时候,我——我买了——我把净资产的四分之三都投进了 GEICO,当时我净资产也就 1 万美元左右。那——那让我的净资产大概翻了一番,差不多这样。那——那在当时已经很棒了。1976 年,公司出了点麻烦,我们花大约 4000 万美元买下了它一半的股份。然后到 1995 年左右,我们又花 20 亿美元买了剩下的一半。那也是一笔好买卖。所以这算是三连击了。

Warren Buffett: Geico, twice in my life. Three times in my life has been a good investment. I mean, it was a good investment when I was -- when I was really 20 years of age and when I -- when I bought -- I put three quarters of my net worth in - in Geico when my net worth was, like, $10,000. And - and that caused my net worth probably to double or something like that. And that was - that was great at the time. In 1976, the company got in trouble, and we bought what turned out to be half of the company for, like, $40 million. And then in 1995 or so, we bought the other half for $2 billion. And that was a good deal. So it's been a triple play.

查理·罗斯:帮我理解一下。你——你手里攥着超过 400 亿美元的现金——

Charlie Rose: Help me understand this. You -- you're sitting with more than $40 billion essentially in cash --

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。

Warren Buffett: Right.

查理·罗斯:我猜,用 400 亿美元,你能买下一些大公司——

Charlie Rose: You could buy some big businesses, I would assume, for $40 billion --

沃伦·巴菲特:对。

Warren Buffett: Right.

查理·罗斯:——但你没看到任何一家公司的价格是你愿意买入的?

Charlie Rose: -- but you don't see any at a price that you want to own?

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。而且——我回头看去年做成的那些交易,没有一个让我眼红的。所以,我的意思是,不是我们错过了什么。以后也许会发现——我本该买其中某个的,但目前来说,没有一个让我觉得,哎呀,我真希望去年把它买下来。但我希望明天能买到一个。

Warren Buffett: That's right. And - and when I look at the deals that have been made in the last year, there's not one I'm envious of. So I mean, it isn't like we missed them. It may turn out that - that I should have bought one of them, but I mean there's none that I feel, gee, I wish I'd bought that last year. But I hope I'll buy one tomorrow.

查理·罗斯:我是说,如果什么都没有,你知道的。你不会看着通用汽车说——

Charlie Rose: I mean if there's nothing, you know. You don't look at General Motors and say --

沃伦·巴菲特:我拿通用汽车来说。通用汽车现在市值大约 150 亿美元。有 5 亿股,股价 28、29 美元左右。你看,整个通用汽车公司才值 150 亿美元,而在我小时候,那可是世界上最具实力的公司,查理。

Warren Buffett: I look at General Motors. General Motors is selling for about $15 billion now. There's 500 million shares; 28 or 29 something like that. You know, and the whole General Motors company, $15 billion, and of course, that was the most powerful company in the world, you know, back when I was a kid, Charlie.

查理·罗斯:而且你——你随时能拥有它。

Charlie Rose: And you could - you could have it in a second.

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,这我倒说不好。但——但我确实可以买——我能买不少。

Warren Buffett: Well, I don't know about that. But - but I certainly could buy - I could buy plenty of it.

查理·罗斯:那方面有什么是你不懂的?

Charlie Rose: What don't you know about that?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,我的意思是——买下整个公司是另一回事。

Warren Buffett: Well, I mean I -- buying the whole company is a different story.

查理·罗斯:整个公司值多少钱?

Charlie Rose: How much is the whole company?

沃伦·巴菲特:整个公司要价 150 亿美元,买下全部股份。

Warren Buffett: The whole company would cost $15 billion, 100 percent of the stock.

查理·罗斯:那你为什么不花 150 亿美元买下通用汽车?

Charlie Rose: So why couldn't you pay $15 billion and get General Motors?

沃伦·巴菲特:唔,他们可能不喜欢我这么做,还有其他一些事——

Warren Buffett: Well, they might not like me doing it and some other things --

查理·罗斯:哦,当然,当然。我明白。

Charlie Rose: Oh, sure, sure. I understand.

沃伦·巴菲特:但即便如此,我仍然可以按 150 亿美元的估值买入大量股票。

Warren Buffett: But nevertheless, I could buy a lot of stock at a valuation of $15 billion.

查理·罗斯:那你觉得今天买进是好时机?

Charlie Rose: And you think it's a good buy today?

沃伦·巴菲特:我觉得这太难判断了。

Warren Buffett: I think it's too tough to figure.

查理·罗斯:太难搞明白了?

Charlie Rose: Too tough to figure?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯。这家公司卖出了全美国 25% 的汽车、全世界七分之一的汽车,雇着几十万人,但它外面还背着些很糟糕的债务。

Warren Buffett: Yeah. You know, it is a company that sells 25 percent of all the vehicles in the United States and one seventh of all the vehicles in the world and employs hundreds of thousands of people, but it's got some terrible obligations outside outstanding.

查理·罗斯:比如菲亚特或者——

Charlie Rose: Like Fiat or --

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,菲亚特那个——菲亚特的交易他们花了 20 亿美元。但终归是 20 亿美元就这么出去了。

Warren Buffett: Well, Fiat's I probably -- well, the Fiat deal they solved for $2 billion. But still $2 billion out the door.

查理·罗斯:诸如此类的事。

Charlie Rose: Things like that.

沃伦·巴菲特:但最大的问题是,他们确实与美国汽车工人联合会(UAW)签订了合同,这些合同完全建立在他们过去处于市场主导地位时的经济条件之上,可现在他们早就没有市场主导地位了。但合同依然摆在那儿。我也不怪 UAW。我是说,你知道,那是一次自愿的谈判,可他们签了字。我猜现在每个在职员工得养活差不多两个半不干活的人,你知道,就是退休金和医疗保健那类负担。要是你的竞争对手没有同样的义务,这压力简直能把人压垮。

Warren Buffett: But the big problem was that they really entered into contracts with the UAW that were based on their -- the economics of market dominance, and they don't have market dominance anymore. But they still have got the contracts. And I don't blame the UAW. I mean, you know, it was a free will negotiation, but they signed up. I think they're paying like two and a half people that don't work for every person that works or something like that, you know, in terms of retirement and health care, and that gets to be crushing if you're competing with people that don't have the same obligations.

查理·罗斯:你仔细研究过这个。

Charlie Rose: You've looked at this closely.

沃伦·巴菲特:哦,我什么都会看看。

Warren Buffett: Oh, I look at all the things.

查理·罗斯:你一天读八小时书,就有机会涉猎很多——

Charlie Rose: When you read eight hours a day, you have a chance to cover a lot of --

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。但通用汽车——听我说,考虑到他们拿到的牌,我认为他们干得很出色。但通用汽车本质上是一家巨型年金和健康保险公司,附带一个大型汽车公司。不幸的是,那家巨型年金和健康公司背着一大堆糟糕的合同。它的价值是个巨大的负数。问题就在于,汽车公司这块是否值一个足够大的正数,来抵消那个巨大的负数。但你没办法把这两者拆分。

Warren Buffett: Yeah. But General Motors -- listen, I think they're doing a great job considering the hand they're dealt. But General Motors is a huge annuity and health insurance company with a major auto company attached. And unfortunately, the huge annuity and health company has got a terrible bunch of contracts on them. It is worth some big minus number. And the question is whether the auto company is worth a big enough plus number to offset that big minus number. But you can't separate the two.

查理·罗斯:那你还算不明白吗?

Charlie Rose: And you can't figure it out?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,我能算出来,但我没法——

Warren Buffett: Well, I can figure it out, but I can't --

查理·罗斯:不,不,你没法什么?

Charlie Rose: No, no, you can't what?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,到头来我无法得出一个结论说这是显而易见的——

Warren Buffett: Well, in the end I can't come to a conclusion that it's obvious that --

查理·罗斯:嗯,我就是这个意思。你没法得出结论吗?

Charlie Rose: Well, that's what I mean. You can't come to a conclusion?

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。

Warren Buffett: Right.

查理·罗斯:因为你并不掌握全部事实,还是——

Charlie Rose: Because you don't have all the facts or --

沃伦·巴菲特:不,我知道情况。

Warren Buffett: No, I've got the facts.

查理·罗斯:你不知道什么?你为什么得不出你的结论?

Charlie Rose: What don't you know? Why can't you reach your conclusion?

沃伦·巴菲特:我不知道,背负着那样巨大的义务,拿着 25% 的市场份额,还要面对像丰田这样难缠的对手,以及各路没有这些成本——他们称之为遗留成本——的参与者从四面八方向你扑来,你还能不能活得下去。

Warren Buffett: I don't know whether you can exist with the kind of obligation they've got and 25 percent of the market and very tough people like Toyota and all kinds of people coming at them who don't have those costs, they call them legacy costs.

查理·罗斯:困境就在这里。你手上有 4000 万美元现金。

Charlie Rose: Here is the dilemma. You've got $40 million in cash.

沃伦·巴菲特:400 亿美元。

Warren Buffett: $40 billion.

查理·罗斯:400 亿美元,不好意思。

Charlie Rose: $40 billion, I'm sorry.

沃伦·巴菲特:这其中有区别。

Warren Buffett: There's a difference.

查理·罗斯:这不一样。而且你现在规模已经这么大了,必须得有大动作。

Charlie Rose: There's a difference. And you've gotten so big that you've got to make a big play.

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。

Warren Buffett: Right.

查理·罗斯:那是你的问题。

Charlie Rose: That's your problem.

沃伦·巴菲特:那是我的问题。我们公司规模小得多的时候我就觉得这是个问题了,确实如此,但现在问题更大了。如果运气好的话,五年后这个问题还会变得更大。

Warren Buffett: That's my problem. And I thought it was a problem when we were a lot smaller, and it was, but it's a bigger problem now. And if I'm lucky, it will be an even bigger problem five years from now.

查理·罗斯:那你呢——跟我说说,这种两难局面在你身上是怎么体现的。

Charlie Rose: And you.-- so tell me how the dilemma plays itself out for you.

沃伦·巴菲特:查理,从概率上看,不管以哪种方式,我们多半都能为大部分资金找到还算明智的配置去向。但这些机会的明智程度,远远比不上三四十年前我们用少得多的资金时能找到的那些——根本没法比。

Warren Buffett: The odds are good, Charlie, that one way or another we will find reasonably intelligent things to do with most of the money. But they won't be as intelligent as the things that we could find 30 or 40 years ago with much smaller amounts of money. Nowhere close to that.

查理·罗斯:因为那里更少。

Charlie Rose: Because there are fewer there.

沃伦·巴菲特:没错,这事儿就是不会发生。

Warren Buffett: Right. It just won't happen.

查理·罗斯:检验标准是什么?它需要通过怎样的检验?

Charlie Rose: What's the test? What test does it have to meet?

沃伦·巴菲特:得是我能理解的生意。得是一家我认为有某种持久竞争优势的公司。得是我喜欢并且信任的管理层,还得有相当吸引人的价格。价格是最不重要的,但依然重要。

Warren Buffett: It has to be a business I understand. It has to be a company that I think has some kind of enduring competitive advantage. It has to be a management that I like and trust, and it has to be a reasonably attractive price. Price is the least important, but it's still important.

查理·罗斯:那你想把它全部拥有吗?

Charlie Rose: And you'd like to own all of it?

沃伦·巴菲特:我想拥有它的全部。

Warren Buffett: I'd like to own all of it.

查理·罗斯:但也未必?

Charlie Rose: But not necessarily?

沃伦·巴菲特:但未必。

Warren Buffett: But not necessarily.

查理·罗斯:范围很小——那是很小的领域——

Charlie Rose: A very small -- that's a small field to --

沃伦·巴菲特:当你跟我们一样有这么多钱可投的时候,这个领域就变得很小了。三四十年之前,这个领域还很大。1973 年、1974 年我买《华盛顿邮报》股票的时候,符合我标准的公司有好几百家。那会儿只是个……

Warren Buffett: It's a small field when you get to have as much money as we have. It was a big field 30 or 40 years ago. When I bought the Washington Post stock in 1973, and '74 there were hundreds of companies that met my test. It was just a question of..

查理·罗斯:选择最优秀的。

Charlie Rose: Choosing the best.

沃伦·巴菲特:做决定。绝对是。

Warren Buffett: Deciding. Absolutely.

查理·罗斯:而你最喜欢的那个,就是合并。

Charlie Rose: And the one you liked the most, the combination.

沃伦·巴菲特:是的。

Warren Buffett: Yes.

查理·罗斯:你现在心里没有任何单一候选对象?

Charlie Rose: You don't have any single candidate right now?

沃伦·巴菲特:确实如此。所以你看我眼里含着泪。

Warren Buffett: That's true. That's why you see these tears in my eyes.

查理·罗斯:确实是这样。跟我说说那种情绪感受。

Charlie Rose: It is. Tell me the emotional feeling.

沃伦·巴菲特:不,不,不……

Warren Buffett: No, no, no..

查理·罗斯:我不是说流泪,但确实有一种——

Charlie Rose: I don't mean tears, but there is a certain sense of --

沃伦·巴菲特:以前就发生过。我在 1969 年清盘了合伙公司,因为我觉得当时在自己做的领域——管钱——没有任何机会,确实也没有。至少对我来说没有。而且,你知道,1990 年和 2000 年的整个股市,肯定没有吸引人的东西,不过我们那时候找到了一些公司。但这种情形时不时就会出现。我的意思是,我做的是个没法天天做聪明事的行当。甚至不是每年都能做聪明事的行当。但也许每三四年能做一件聪明事。

Warren Buffett: It's happened before. I mean, I closed up my partnership in '69 because I didn't feel there were any opportunities then in what I was doing, managing money, and there weren't. I mean, at least for me. And, you know, in 1990 and in 2000 in the general stock market, there was certainly nothing attractive and we found some businesses then. But it happens from time to time. I mean, I am not in a business where you can do something smart every day. I'm not even in a business where you can do something smart every year. But I may be in a business where you can do something smart every three or four years.

查理·罗斯:但我今天在报纸上读到,每天都有一群私募股权的人做出一大笔交易。

Charlie Rose: But I read every day about one more big deal by a group of private equity guys in the paper today.

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。他们用的是别人的钱,自己拿提成,他们的算账方式跟我不一样。现在呢,这就让他们能出价高得多。

Warren Buffett: Right. And they're using other people's money, and they get an override (ph), and their calculus is not the same as my calculus. And right now that enables them to pay way more.

查理·罗斯:那他们的算账方式有什么不同呢?

Charlie Rose: Tell me how their calculus is different.

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,他们就是——那些钱是从别人那里拿来的,就算什么都不干也能赚不少管理费,然后还能分到上涨收益的一部分,下跌风险却不用他们承担。这种算账方式跟伯克希尔不一样。

Warren Buffett: Well, they just -- it's money that they get from somebody else that they get paid quite a bit of money on if they don't do anything, and then they get a percentage of the upside and they don't take the down side. That is a different calculus than Berkshire's.

查理·罗斯:上涨收益是你的,下跌风险也是你的。

Charlie Rose: You have the upside and the downside.

沃伦·巴菲特:上涨收益是我的,下跌风险也是我的,而且我会永远持有它们,不会去粉饰账目,也不会稍微调整一下再转手卖掉——

Warren Buffett: The upside and the downside, and I'm going to keep them forever and I'm not going to dress up the accounting or rearrange things a little and resell it --

查理·罗斯:而且不会为此收取高额费用?

Charlie Rose: And not going to take a big fee for doing it?

沃伦·巴菲特:不,所以我没有退出策略,我也不是靠拿别人的一大笔钱坐在这里白拿工资。那是我自己的钱。

Warren Buffett: No, so I don't have an exit strategy, and I'm not getting paid just to sit with a whole bunch of other people's money. It's my money.

查理·罗斯:2006 年 6 月 29 日,我们又和沃伦坐下来聊了一次。自我们上次交谈之后,他又完成了几笔收购,这次见面时这些收购已经做完。我们来聊聊伯克希尔·哈撒韦的未来吧。

Charlie Rose: We sat down again with Warren on June 29th, 2006, after he had made some acquisitions since we last spoke with him. Let's talk about the future of Berkshire Hathaway.

沃伦·巴菲特:对。

Warren Buffett: Right.

查理·罗斯:上次我们聊伯克希尔·哈撒韦崛起的时候,你手上大概有 440 亿美元左右,上下浮动 10 亿。你当时没找到特别想投资的东西。从那以后,你倒是做了一些投资。

Charlie Rose: The last time we talked about the rise of Berkshire Hathaway, you were sitting on, give or take a billion dollars, about $44 billion. You didn't find anything that you were very interested in making an investment. Since then, you've made some investments.

沃伦·巴菲特:是的,今年我们已经花了超过 100 亿美元。

Warren Buffett: Yeah, we've spent over $10 billion this year.

查理·罗斯:其中一个是伊斯卡(Iscar)。

Charlie Rose: One was Iscar.

沃伦·巴菲特:一个是伊斯卡,这笔交易是 40 亿美元,买下了一家价值 50 亿美元的企业 80% 的股权。太平洋公司(Pacific Corps)是 50 多亿。我们还在找一些标的。重要的是找到大家伙。

Warren Buffett: One was Iscar, which was $4 billion, 80 percent of a $5 billion business. Pacific Corps was five and a fraction billion. And we're finding a few things. The important thing is to find big things.

沃伦·巴菲特:好吧,我是在寻找大象。

Ok: I'm looking for elephants.

查理·罗斯:但我的问题是,2004 年到 2006 年之间,有什么变化吗?我的意思是,你看经济远没有你看企业那么多。

Charlie Rose: But my question is, did anything change between, say, 2004 and 2006? I mean, because you don't look at the economy as much as you look at the business.

沃伦·巴菲特:我只关注生意本身。从来没有哪家我喜欢的公司,我因为对经济有什么看法——觉得明年经济可能会更好——而放过它。也从来没有哪家公司,我是因为觉得今年经济会特别好而去买的。你知道,我看生意的时候,想的是我们要永远持有。假如我再活 20 年——这已经很乐观了,不过就假定如此——这 20 年里,经济可以有很多好年份,也可能碰上几个差年份,但那又有什么区别呢?就像打一场 18 洞的高尔夫,有三杆洞,也有五杆洞,想回到会所只能一洞一洞打。你要是喜欢高尔夫,那就每一洞都打。我喜欢生意,所以困难年份我们也打,顺利年份也打。只要选对了生意、选对了经理人,结果自然会好。

Warren Buffett: I only look at the business. There's never been a business that I've passed up that I liked because I had some view on the economy that maybe it would be better next year. There's never been one I've bought because I thought the economy was going to do particularly well this year. You know, I look at -- I look at a business, we're going to hold it forever. If I hold -- let's say I live 20 years. That's pretty optimistic, but let's just say I do. In those 20 years, there can be a lot of good years, there can be a few bad years in the economy, but what difference does it make? It's like playing 18 holes of golf. There's some par threes and par fives, and the only way to get to the clubhouse is to play them all. If you like golf, you play them all. I like business. So we're going to play the tough years, we're going to play the easy years. And if we got the right businesses and the right managers, it's going to work.

查理·罗斯:那你为什么在 2004 年没能注意到伊斯卡?它就是这样一家公司。他们那边没发生什么变化,你这边也没发生什么变化,为什么是 2006 年而不是 2004 年投——仅仅是因为他们的 CEO 给你发了一封电邮?

Charlie Rose: Why couldn't you have seen Iscar in 2004? Because it was just that company. Nothing happened to them, or nothing happened to you to make the investment in 2006 rather than 2004 except the CEO wrote you an e-mail.

沃伦·巴菲特:没错。2004 年我压根没听说过这家公司。没听说过一家公司,就根本无从投起。而且我也从没听说过艾坦·韦特海默这个人。但他给我写了封信——

Warren Buffett: That's right. I've never heard of the company in 2004. Very hard to do it if you haven't heard of the company. And I'd never heard of Eitan Wetheimer. But he wrote me a letter --

查理·罗斯:他就是 CEO。

Charlie Rose: This is the guy who was the CEO.

沃伦·巴菲特:他是 CEO 兼老板,公司归他家族所有。他在 2005 年 10 月给我写了信。信里用了大概一页多一点的篇幅介绍公司,又说伯克希尔是我们顺理成章的归宿。他说想跟我聊聊。于是他从以色列飞过来,我们谈了。但如果他 2004 年就给我写信,那笔交易当时就做成了。而且价格会更便宜。2004 年买会更便宜。

Warren Buffett: He's the CEO and the owner and his family. And he wrote me in October of 2005. And he said -- he told me a page and a fraction about the company, and he said Berkshire's a logical home for us. And he said, I'd like to talk to you. So he came over from Israel and we talked. But if he'd written me in 2004, we would have made the deal. It would have been cheaper, too. It would have been cheaper in 2004.

查理·罗斯:但我想说的是,搞清楚你为什么没注意到那些公司,其实跟经济毫无关系,也跟其他任何因素毫无关系,纯粹就是你没遇到。

Charlie Rose: But my point is understanding why you didn't see companies was nothing having to do with the economy, nothing having to do with anything other than you just simply hadn't seen one.

沃伦·巴菲特:对,对。是缘分未到。缘分未到。有时候是家族里出了什么事,你知道,可能是人丁多了,或者欠了税,谁知道呢。我是说,他们愿意卖的时候我们才买。我不会主动出去四处物色。我会让人知道我的兴趣,但总有人跟我说,你怎么不给这个人打个电话,怎么不去联系那个人,先铺垫铺垫感情嘛。你知道,这种事我不干,因为那么干的话,我的命中率会惨不忍睹。你就是得——你得等到他们真想干点什么事的时候。那时候我们自然会听说这些公司。

Warren Buffett: Yeah. Yeah. It's availability. It's availability. Sometimes it's something that happens in a family, you know, there may be more people or they may owe taxes or who knows what. I mean, we buy when they're ready to sell. And I don't go out prospecting. I let my interests be known, but I get a lot of people saying why don't you call in this person, why don't you call on that one, you know, soften them up. You know, and I don't do it, because my batting average would be terrible. You'd just -- you've got to wait until they're ready to do something. And that's when we hear about companies.

查理·罗斯:他们准备好了就会来找你?

Charlie Rose: They come to you when they're ready?

沃伦·巴菲特:他们准备好了,我电话就会响。

Warren Buffett: When they're ready. My phone rings.

查理·罗斯:以你如今的阅历,合不合适你一眼就能看出来。

Charlie Rose: At this stage in your experience, you know pretty quickly if it's right.

沃伦·巴菲特:对,大概就两分钟。我读了凯西那封信,就知道它对路。你能感觉得出来。查理,你有没有遇到过哪个姑娘,心里马上就知道她是对的人?我是说,我不想扯到私事上,但有些人就是,你知道——

Warren Buffett: Yeah, like about two minutes. I read the letter from Kathie, I knew it was right. You can tell. Have you ever met girls, Charlie, that you knew it was the right thing? I mean, I don't want to get personal, but there's some, you know --

查理·罗斯:而且你知道别人也许会喜欢,但就是不适合你。

Charlie Rose: And you know that other people would like them, but it's just not for you.

沃伦·巴菲特:就是不适合你。就是不适合你。

Warren Buffett: They're just not for you. They're just not for you.

查理·罗斯:对,没错。但这就关系到——我是说,你能立刻看到数字,然后还得对管理层做出评判。你怎么能做到这么快?到了人生这个阶段,你就是有一种本能判断。

Charlie Rose: Yes, exactly. But that has to do with -- I mean, you can see the numbers immediately, you've got to make an evaluation of the management. How can you do that so quick? You just have at this time in your life an instinctive knowledge.

沃伦·巴菲特:是的。不见得每次都对,但通常错不了。

Warren Buffett: Yeah. It's not going to always be right, but it's usually going to be right.

查理·罗斯:再问一次标准。从盈利的角度讲——

Charlie Rose: One more time for the criteria. It is, in terms of earnings that --

沃伦·巴菲特:我们预计税前能赚到 7500 万美元。

Warren Buffett: We're looking at earning $75 million pre-tax.

查理·罗斯:7500 万美元。你看的是管理层,你看的是——

Charlie Rose: $75 million. You're looking at management, you're looking at --

沃伦·巴菲特:简单的生意,我能理解的生意,这确实就意味着简单。我们寻找有管理层在位的公司,寻找清楚自己想要什么价格的卖家。

Warren Buffett: A simpl business, one I can understand, which really means simple. And we're looking for management in place, and we're looking for a seller that knows the price he wants for his business.

查理·罗斯:卖方一定得知道价格吗?

Charlie Rose: The seller must know the price?

沃伦·巴菲特:是的。

Warren Buffett: Yeah.

查理·罗斯:谈判很难推进,还是很快就搞定了?

Charlie Rose: Is it a hard negotiation or is it pretty quick?

沃伦·巴菲特:非常快,因为他们知道——我是说,如果我喜欢这个价格——如果它通过了考验,我就能很快说“行”。我是说,这根本花不了什么时间,查理。当然,也有其他一些项目,就算我花上两年也搞不清楚答案,但我知道哪些需要两年,哪些只需要两分钟。

Warren Buffett: Very quick, because they know -- I mean, if I like the price -- if it meets the test, I can say yes very fast. I mean, it doesn't take any time really, Charlie. Now, there's others if I spent two years on them I wouldn't know the answer at the end of two years, but I do know the difference between the ones that take two years and the ones that take two minutes.

查理·罗斯:那你就喜欢那些两分钟就能搞定的?

Charlie Rose: And you like the ones that take two minutes?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯。

Warren Buffett: Yeah.

查理·罗斯:那你也不会去投资银行做尽职调查?

Charlie Rose: And you don't go to some investment bank to do the due diligence?

沃伦·巴菲特:不。不。如果我需要他们——你知道,我可能需要医生告诉我我的健康状况,但如果我需要他们告诉我关于一门生意的事,那他们就该来管理伯克希尔了。我从 40 万人那里拿钱,不是为了把资金外包出去,然后说,好吧,我把你们的钱亏了,但这个人,我以为他很厉害,他只是碰巧错了。搞清楚我在做什么,这是我的工作。如果我不知道自己在做什么,我就不做。

Warren Buffett: No. No. If I need them -- you know, I need a doctor maybe to tell me about my health, but if I need them to tell me about a business, they ought to be running Berkshire. I did not take money from 400,000 people to essentially start farming it out and say, well, I lost your money but this guy, I thought he was good. He just happened to be wrong. It's my job to know what I'm doing. And if I don't know what I'm doing, I don't do it.

查理·罗斯:好吧,我们已经确定,你知道自己在做什么。

Charlie Rose: Well, we have established that you know what you're doing.

沃伦·巴菲特:不,不,并非总是如此。

Warren Buffett: No, no, not always.

查理·罗斯:可口可乐就是一个例子。您在那里的持仓价值跌了大约 80 亿美元,对吗?

Charlie Rose: Coca-Cola is one example. The value of your holding has gone down by about $8 billion, haven't they?

沃伦·巴菲特:你说到点子上了。咱们别声张。

Warren Buffett: That's -- you hit it right on the button. Let's keep this quiet.

查理·罗斯:我是说,你有没有——你有没有这么想过,天哪,我在这儿干什么?我对终点的承诺是——

Charlie Rose: I mean, does it ever -- do you ever say, man, what am I doing here? My commitment to the end is --

沃伦·巴菲特:不,我——回过头看,我犯了个错,没在可口可乐股价 80 美元左右的时候卖掉。没错,但我不会纠结过去。

Warren Buffett: No, I -- looking back, I made a mistake by not selling Coca-Cola stock when the stock was $80 a share or something. Yes, but I don't look back on things.

查理·罗斯:好,那我先顺着这个思路往下说。那你回过头看,会说当时每股 80 美元的时候我该卖掉,因为那算是它的高点,或者说接近高点吧。

Charlie Rose: OK, but let me just stay with that idea. So you look back and you say when it was $80 a share I should have sold it, because that was at its top, say, or close to its top.

沃伦·巴菲特:五十多倍市盈率。

Warren Buffett: Fifty plus times earnings.

查理·罗斯:市盈率 50 倍。但你骨子里就不想卖。

Charlie Rose: Fifty times earning. But it's not in your blood to want to sell.

沃伦·巴菲特:不。但我确实有时会卖出有价证券。我不卖企业,但我卖有价证券。

Warren Buffett: No. But I do sell marketable securities sometimes. I don't sell businesses. But I do sell marketable security.

查理·罗斯:没错,而且这是一种有价证券。

Charlie Rose: Sure, and this is a marketable security.

沃伦·巴菲特:那种是有价证券。

Warren Buffett: That was a marketable security.

查理·罗斯:美国运通也是。就像——

Charlie Rose: As is American Express. As is --

沃伦·巴菲特:是的。但我不会卖掉喜诗糖果或《布法罗新闻》。我不会出售旗下企业。

Warren Buffett: Yes. But I don't sell See's Candy or the Buffalo News. I don't sell businesses.

查理·罗斯:所以你跟它们结婚了,不论甘苦都绑在一起?

Charlie Rose: So you're married to them for better or worse?

沃伦·巴菲特:是的。我在年报里专门留了一节,每年都放进去——如果某家这样的企业注定会无限期亏损,或者出现严重的劳资问题之类的情况,那我就会卖掉。但我不会仅仅因为觉得它前景不会太好,或者我能把资金更好地用到别处,又或者有人出个离谱的高价来买,就把它卖掉。最近就有人对我们持有的某项资产出了个疯狂的高价,我跟打电话来的那位说:“我不卖。你可以翻翻年报后面,你会看到,我不干这种事。”他说:“嗯,我看了,但我不信。”我说:“现在信了吧。”

Warren Buffett: Yes. I've got one section in the annual report and I put it in every year, that if a business like that promises to lose money indefinitely or if they have major labor problems or something, but just because I don't think it's going to do very well or I could use the money better elsewhere or because I get offered a crazy high price for something, I don't sell them. I got offered a crazy high price for something here recently that we own, and I told the fellow that called me. I said, "I don't do it. You can look in the back of the annual report, and you'll see, I don't do it." And he said "well, I read it, but I didn't believe it." I said "Believe it now."

查理·罗斯:他以为自己能买下它。

Charlie Rose: He thought he could buy it.

沃伦·巴菲特:他(听不清)跟我报了个数字。

Warren Buffett: He (inaudible). He named a number to me.

查理·罗斯:那个数字不错?

Charlie Rose: And it was a good number?

沃伦·巴菲特:那个数字确实不错。如果我是儿童福利院的受托人,那是福利院的唯一资产,我的责任纯粹是为福利院争取最好的经济回报,那我就只能卖给他们了。

Warren Buffett: It was a good number. If I was the trustee of a children's home and that was the only asset of the children's home, and it was my responsibility simply to get the best economic result for the children's home, I would have had to sell it to them.

查理·罗斯:没错。自从上次我跟你聊过之后,你已经在董事会的同意和配合下,选定了继任者?

Charlie Rose: Exactly. Since I last talked to you, you have with the consent with the -- in concert with the other members of the board, have chosen the successor?

沃伦·巴菲特:是这样,查理,我们现在有三个人都能胜任。每次开董事会——我们开会不多,但每次董事会都会讨论这事。问题是,如果当晚我出了什么事,他们该让谁来接管?所以他们开完会心里都清楚,第二天该怎么做。现在——可能有三个人选,但我们随时都确定了一个具体人选。所以如果今晚我出了事,明天一早伯克希尔的董事会就会开会,他们清楚地知道该让谁接手。

Warren Buffett: Well, what we have, Charlie, is we have three that could do it, and every meeting of the board -- we don't have many meetings, but every meeting of the board, that's the subject. And the question is, if something happens to me that night, who do they put in charge? So they always go away knowing what they would do the next day. Now, there's -- there may be a pool of three, but we have settled on one at any time. And so if something happened to me tonight, tomorrow morning the board of directors at Berkshire would convene and they would know exactly who they were going to put in charge.

查理·罗斯:你会一直经营伯克希尔,只要——。

Charlie Rose: You will run Berkshire as long as --.

沃伦·巴菲特:只要我脑子还清醒。

Warren Buffett: As long as I keep my marbles.

查理·罗斯:必要的时候,会有人来告诉你,你脑子不清醒了吗?

Charlie Rose: And you have somebody that will come to tell you that you don't have them if necessary?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,我——是的,我把这个任务交给了我的孩子们。我告诉他们,如果三个人一起来,对谁都好,因为要是只来一个人,我就把他从遗嘱里剔出去。

Warren Buffett: Well, I -- yes, I've assigned that job to my children. I tell them they are better off if all three come in together, because if just one comes, I'm cutting them out of the will.

查理·罗斯:你曾说过,如果能找到 300 亿美元的收购机会,你准备好出手,只是想留出 100 亿美元作为储备。

Charlie Rose: You have said that you want to keep -- if you could find $30 billion in acquisitions, you're prepared to do that. You just want to keep in reserve $10 billion.

沃伦·巴菲特:大约 100 亿美元,没错。

Warren Buffett: About $10 billion, yes.

查理·罗斯:那为什么要这样划分?为什么有这种区分?

Charlie Rose: Now, why that break-up? Why the divide?

沃伦·巴菲特:我认为,从事巨灾保险以及我们做的那类业务的公司,应当拥有充足的流动性。我希望伯克希尔永远像直布罗陀巨岩那样坚不可摧。我们有 40 万股东。我们还有一些对我们的工伤保险索赔人,他们是四肢瘫痪者,60 年后还要从我们这里收到支票。在伯克希尔的偿付能力问题上,我绝对没有资格胡来。所以,我会在每一个方面都让它远远、远远地待在安全的一侧,手头留有大量现金。你知道,像我们这样身处保险行业,我不想依赖银行的信用证或诸如此类的东西,你明白吗?我不想——没有什么“太大而不能倒”的信条能救我们。我确实希望我们——

Warren Buffett: I think the company that writes the catastrophe insurance and all of that sort of thing that we do should have plenty of liquidity. I want Berkshires always to be the rock of Gibraltar. We've got 400,000 shareholders. We have got people who have worker's compensation claims against us who are quadriplegics that are going to be getting a check from us 60 years from now. I've got no business fooling around with anything close to the solvency of Berkshire. So I will keep it way, way over on the safe side in every respect, and having a lot of money around, you know, when you're in the insurance business like we are, I don't want to depend on letters of credit from banks or anything of the sort, you know? I don't want to -- no too big to fail doctrine to bail us out. I really want us to --

查理·罗斯:那么 100 亿美元这个数字没问题?差不多这个数?

<<<END P 10>>>

Charlie Rose: And $10 billion is the right number? Thereabout?

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,这个数字没错——

Warren Buffett: Well, it's the right number --

查理·罗斯:保险业今天对你来说,还像一开始那样有吸引力吗?

Charlie Rose: Is the insurance business still as attractive to you today as it was from the beginning?

沃伦·巴菲特:这桩生意一直挺适合我。我是说,它让你先拿到钱,所以——投资这部分很重要。同时,这也是一门需要计算各种事情几率的生意——

Warren Buffett: It's always been a business that sort of fits me. I mean, it gives you the money first, so it -- the investment element is important. It also is a business that, you know, you're calculating odds on things --

查理·罗斯:你就是喜欢这样。

Charlie Rose: That's what you like.

沃伦·巴菲特:——我猜我大概天生是个开赌场的料,但我爸不让。

Warren Buffett: -- and I guess I was probably destined to be a bookmaker, but my dad wouldn't let me.

查理·罗斯:你可以计算赔率。但我的意思是,在保险业,飓风越来越多、恐怖主义也越来越多,这已是当今生活的现实。

Charlie Rose: You can calculate odds. But, I mean, in the insurance business, there is the increasing number of hurricanes, increasing number of terrorism as a fact of life today.

沃伦·巴菲特:我觉得是这样。

Warren Buffett: I think so.

查理·罗斯:不管你怎么针对所有这些情况设计保单,我是说,它会不会变得不那么——

Charlie Rose: No matter how you can write a policy against all those things, I mean, does it make it any less --

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,你得算准——你得把赔率算准,还得收对保费。但你永远没法确定保费是不是收对了。我是说,一辈子下来,你大致能知道整体上保费收得对不对,但总有些保单会赔钱,而有些保单则什么事都没发生。所以,你没法在任何一天、任何一周或任何一个月里确定自己做得对不对,但时间长了,你就能看出自己的判断大体上是否准确。这确实是个很有意思的游戏。

Warren Buffett: Well, you have to get the right -- you have to calculate the odds right. You've got to get the right premium. And you never know whether you've gotten the right premium. I mean, you know over a lifetime whether overall you've gotten the right premiums for things, but you lose on some policies, and on other policies nothing happens. So you don't know at any given day or week or month whether you're doing the right thing, but over time you'll see whether your judgment has generally been right. And it's an interesting game.

查理·罗斯:那场丑闻到底有没有对它造成影响?

Charlie Rose: Has the scandal affected it at all?

沃伦·巴菲特:不能这么说。

Warren Buffett: No, I wouldn't say so.

查理·罗斯:围绕 AIG 的所有那些争议——我是说?

Charlie Rose: All of the controversy about AIG -- I mean?

沃伦·巴菲特:我们业务量很大。在保险业务上,我们同时推进很多不同的事。我们有做车险的 GEICO,还有一大批各式各样的保险业务。保险在我有生之年都将是伯克希尔最重要的一项业务,而且很可能在我身后很长一段时间也仍然如此。

Warren Buffett: We do a lot of business. We've got a lot of different irons in the fire in the insurance business. We've got Geico, the auto insurance, so we've got a lot of different insurance businesses, and it will be the most important business of Berkshire throughout my lifetime and probably a long time thereafter.

查理·罗斯:你现在正在做的一件事是关注海外公司。这还是头一回吗?

Charlie Rose: One thing you're doing is looking to international companies. Is it for the first time?

沃伦·巴菲特:不是,我一直都有兴趣,只不过在整体收购海外公司方面,我们过去很少进入人们的视野。在德国、英国或者——直到现在还包括以色列——如果有人想出售公司,他们不会想到我们。不过,我一直在关注国际股票,我们也一直持有一些国际股票。

Warren Buffett: No, I've always been interested, but we haven't been on the radar screen very much for entire businesses abroad. People did not think of us in Germany or the U.K. or -- up to now Israel if they had a business to sell. Now, I've always looked at international stocks, and we've always owned some international stocks.

查理·罗斯:跟我说说,你现在怎么看当前的经济。

Charlie Rose: Tell me how you see the economy today.

沃伦·巴菲特:嗯,就在我们坐在这儿聊的时候,经济仍然相当不错。你知道,人们从自己的——或者说他们——在过去几年里把他们房产大幅增值的部分大量套现了,诸如此类。但如果你只看今天的经济,你不得不说它挺好。当然,我们有不少问题,只是这些问题目前还没在商业活动中显现出来。

Warren Buffett: Well, the economy is still pretty good as we sit and talk today. You know, people, they've taken lots of equity out of their -- or they've taken -- they have extracted the equity that's appreciated in their houses big time in the last few years and all that. But if you looked at the economy right today, you'd have to say it's good. Now, we've got plenty of problems, but they are not manifesting themselves in business today.

查理·罗斯:你担心通胀吗?

Charlie Rose: Do you worry about inflation?

沃伦·巴菲特:我对通胀是有几分担心,确实。通胀从未消亡,它只是暂时处于缓解期。而且,你知道,它很容易……

Warren Buffett: I worry some about inflation, sure. Sure. Inflation is never gone, it's always in remission. And, you know, it's very easy..

查理·罗斯:从未消亡,但总是——

Charlie Rose: Never dead but always --

沃伦·巴菲特:它从未消亡。而且——通胀是人为制造出来的,政府完全能制造通胀,而且比起摆在眼前的另一种选择,通胀常常看起来更可取。所以你必须警惕——任何时候,只要有政府存在,你就得担心通胀。

Warren Buffett: It's never dead. But it -- and it's something that is man-made and governments can create, and it often times seems preferable to some alternative that's in the here and now. So you have to worry about -- any time you have governments, you have to worry about inflation.

查理·罗斯:那油价呢?

Charlie Rose: And what about oil prices?

沃伦·巴菲特:石油价格我完全不行。全球每天大概消耗 8400 万桶石油,要是每天有三四百万桶的供应出了岔子——比如伊朗那边出点什么事——那边际的那桶油就会疯涨。

Warren Buffett: I'm no good on oil prices. We're using 84 million barrels a day or so in the world of oil, and if something disrupts three or four million barrels a day of supply, like something happening in Iran, perhaps, the marginal barrel will go crazy.

查理·罗斯:我们已经到了边缘。

Charlie Rose: We're on the edge.

沃伦·巴菲特:是的,没错。我们的备用产能比 15 或 20 年前少得多。

Warren Buffett: Yeah, yeah. We've got less reserve capacity by far than we had 15 or 20 years ago.

查理·罗斯:当你考虑美元的时候——

Charlie Rose: When you think about the dollar --

沃伦·巴菲特:我认为美元长期来看会贬值,因为我觉得我们正在执行的贸易政策会导致美元走低——我不知道是六个月、六年还是十年后,但在我看来,美国当前推行的政策终将让美元贬值。

Warren Buffett: I think the dollar over time will go down, because I think we're following policies that the -- in connection with trade that will cause the dollar -- I don't know whether it will be in six months, six years, 10 years, but the policies we're following as a country will cause the dollar in my view to decline.

查理·罗斯:主要是我们的贸易逆差吗?

Charlie Rose: Primarily our trade deficit?

沃伦·巴菲特:我们的贸易逆差,没错。而贸易逆差的另一面是,当我们消费超过生产时,就必须拿东西跟世界其他地方交换,我们给了他们我们的资产。我们给了他们政府的借据,起初是美元,然后他们可以用那些钱转换成这个国家的其他资产。所以,我们是在用资产换过度消费。

Warren Buffett: Our trade deficit, right. And the flip side of our trade deficit is when we consume more than we produce, we have to trade the rest of the world something for that, and we give them our assets. We give them IOUs of the government, we give them dollars initially, and then they can convert those into other assets in this country. So we are trading away assets in order to overconsume.

查理·罗斯:就像你之前跟我说的,我们这相当于在把农场一块块卖掉。

Charlie Rose: As you said to me earlier, we're giving away pieces of the farm.

沃伦·巴菲特:是啊。我们在一点一点卖掉农场。我们想消费得比生产多,于是就拿农场的一小块去换。而我们这座农场又实在太大了。要知道,这可是个富庶的国家。所以我们能换出去——我们每天都察觉不到。但累积起来就多了。而且,这是有后果的。

Warren Buffett: Yeah. We're giving away pieces of the farm. We want to consume more than we produce, and so we trade away a little bit of the farm. And we've got such a big farm. I mean, you know, this is one prosperous country. So we can trade away -- we don't see it day by day. But it adds up. And it has consequences.

查理·罗斯:比财政赤字对你的影响还严重?

Charlie Rose: More severe to you than the fiscal deficit?

沃伦·巴菲特:确实如此。是的。从财政角度看,我们的国债与 GDP 之比并不算高。过去我们有过多次比率更高的时期,特别是二战后。我也不喜欢这个比率持续上升,但一个非常富裕的国家比一个贫穷国家能承受更多债务,而我们承受债务的能力远高于过去。不过,由于贸易逆差,这些债务被世界其他国家持有的比例越来越高,长远看可能会引发问题。但如果问我更想解决哪个问题,我更愿意优先解决贸易逆差。

Warren Buffett: That's true. Yeah. Fiscal, our national debt in relation to GDP is not extraordinary. We've had plenty of times in the past when it's been higher, particularly after World War II. And I don't like it when it keeps going up as a percentage of GDP, but a very rich country can stand more debt than a poorer country, and we can handle a lot more debt than in the past. Now as that debt gets to be more and more owned by the rest of the world because of the trade deficit, it can cause problems down the line. But if you -- if you ask me whether I'd rather cure one or the other, I would rather largely cure the trade deficit.

查理·罗斯:你是否接受这样一种观点——像中国这样的国家之所以和我们绑在一起跳这支舞,是因为它们需要我们的市场,所以不太可能抛售美国证券?

Charlie Rose: Do you accept the argument that countries like China are locked into this dance with us because they need our markets so they're unlikely to dump American securities?

沃伦·巴菲特:哦,没错,如果他们想卖出美国证券,如果他们把证券卖给美国国内的买家,他们拿到的是美元,所以必须拿这些美元去买别的东西。如果他们卖给法国人,那现在就轮到法国人持有这些证券了,你懂的,而中国则有了对法国的债权。但他们其实没法真的甩掉这些资产。他们可以改变对美国资产的偏好,但中国基本上摆脱不了美国资产,全世界其他国家也一样——除非我们开始向他们出口的商品和他们向我们出口的一样多,而那一天不会到来。

Warren Buffett: Oh, yeah, if they wanted to sell American securities, if they sell them to somebody in the United States, they get dollars with them, so they have to buy something else for the dollars. If they sell them to the French, the French now have them, you know, and the Chinese have got a claim on France. But they can't really get rid of them. They can change their asset preference about the American assets they own, but China can't get rid of American assets, basically, or the rest of the world can't unless we start exporting as much to them as we're importing, and that day is not coming.

查理·罗斯:但也有人会说,总有一天会出大乱子,大约一年前韩国那边不就闹过一阵小骚动嘛。

Charlie Rose: But there are people who will suggest that there may be some catastrophic day, and we had that little tremor from the South Koreans about a year ago.

沃伦·巴菲特:可能出现灾难性的一天。我不知道答案是什么。但只要世界上存在巨大的失衡,许多人像扣着扳机一样交易货币、股票和债券,就存在爆发灾难性一天的可能。

Warren Buffett: There could be a catastrophic day. I don't know the answer to that. But any time you have huge imbalances in the world and you have lots of people on hair-triggers trading currencies and stock and bonds, you have the potential for catastrophic days.

查理·罗斯:回到财政赤字的问题,谈谈你对当前形势的看法。很多人看今天这份预算,再往前看十年,说婴儿潮一代即将来临,加上社会保障和医疗保险,我们在后面会面临一个巨大的问题——要么就得加税,要么削减开支,要么改变受益人的年龄。

Charlie Rose: Back to the fiscal deficit and your sense of where we are. A lot of people look at the budget that they see today and they look 10 years out, and they say with the baby boom generation coming in and Social Security and Medicare, that we are looking at a huge problem downstream, that either we've got to raise taxes, cut spending, or change the age of the beneficiary.

沃伦·巴菲特:我们必须修改承诺。你们看到的许多即将到来的巨大问题,都围绕承诺展开。而且在我看来,我们绝不会修改社保的承诺。当涉及医疗保险这类问题时,我们也许会修改。

Warren Buffett: We have to change the promises. A lot of what you see coming down the road as really large looming problems revolve around promises. And we won't in my view ever change the promise on Social Security. We may change it when you get into Medicare, something of that sort.

查理·罗斯:没有一个政治家会提出这种建议。

Charlie Rose: No politician will suggest that.

沃伦·巴菲特:不,不会的。但这个国家拥有惊人的资源。它的人均资源比五年前、十年前或二十年前都更丰富。我的意思是,作为国家,我们不会在经济上倒退,但我们做出了很多承诺。我们可以有一个非常富有的家庭,查理,我们的收入可以持续增长。但如果我向家里年长的成员承诺,他们都能过上百万富翁般的生活,我们就会陷入麻烦。

Warren Buffett: No, the wouldn't. But this country has incredible resources. It has more resources per capita than it had five or 10 or 20 years ago. I mean, we're not going backwards economically as a nation, but we have made a lot of promises. And we can have a very rich family, Charlie, and our income could keep going up. But if I promised the elder members of the family that they would all live like multimillionaires, we could get in trouble.

查理·罗斯:明天,一段 600 亿美元的友谊。

Charlie Rose: Tomorrow, a $60 billion friendship.